Point-of-care testing (POCT) is among the fastest growing disciplines within laboratory medicine and clinical diagnostics. With certification through the AACC Board of Certification, you can showcase your proven expertise. As a Certified Point-of-Care Testing Professional (CPP), you will stand out as someone who has gone above and beyond to demonstrate proficiency in POCT.
The current application period is closed.
Individuals that successfully submitted an application will be notified of their eligibility by October 7, 2022. Please contact [email protected] for specific questions regarding a submitted application. The next application cycle will open on December 5, 2022.
Who Are Certified POCT Professionals?
CPP certification is designed for all personnel who perform diagnostic tests outside the central laboratory, including near-patient testing, point-of-care device selection and validation, quality management, operator training, regulatory compliance, and serving as a liaison with the central laboratory. To be eligible for the CPP credential, you must have either:
- A four-year degree in a biological, chemical, physical, or medical laboratory science or in nursing and at least two years of direct POCT work experience, OR
- A two-year degree in medical laboratory science or medical laboratory technology and four years of direct POCT work experience.
About the Exam
The POCT Professional Certification exam is a two-hour exam consisting of 160 multiple choice questions. The exam is only available online and is monitored by an online proctor via webcam. This allows candidates to take the timed exam in the convenience of their own home or via personal laptop at a time scheduled by the candidate. The exam is offered twice annually, in the Spring (late May) and Fall (early November).
Key Dates and Deadlines
All applications must be completed online and require an AACC account. AACC membership is not required.
- Application Open: June 6 - August 31
- Application Review: September 5 -October 4
- Applicant Notified: October 7
- Exam Payment Open: October 10 - October 28
- Test Self-Registration: October 31 - November 11
- Exam Week: November 14 - November 18
- Exam Results Announced: December 9
- Application Open: December 5 - February 24
- Application Review: February 27 - March 31
- Applicant Notified: April 7
- Exam Payment Open: April 10 - April 28
- Test Self-Registration: May 1 - May 12
- Exam Week: May 15 - May 19
- Exam Results Announced: June 9
How Do I Apply?
A completed application consists of:
- An education transcript (degrees earned outside the United States also require a credential evaluation report).
- Resume or curriculum vitae (CV) submitted as a single PDF.
- Letter from a supervisor documenting your POCT work experience submitted by the applicant.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from individuals other than your supervisor submitted by references directly to the application portal.
- Application fee.
View detailed application requirements here.
For complete details on the certification and application process, please review the AACC Point-of-Care Professional Certification Candidate Handbook.