The Global Lab Quality Initiative (GLQI) partners with national societies to improve the quality of laboratory testing worldwide.
The program includes the following:
- Workshops in quality control and method verification topics in the Latin America and Caribbean, sub-Saharan Africa, and Asia-Pacific regions in close collaboration with clinical chemistry associations.
- Newborn Screening Program that provides a platform for laboratory professionals and policymakers outside the U.S. to discuss newborn screening for biomedical genetic disorders, covering the technical and regulatory requirements for a successful newborn screening program.
- Webinars in Spanish that are available to watch on-demand.
These projects are generously supported by the Wallace H. Coulter Foundation (WHCF).
In 2020, AACC partnered with CDC and the CDC Foundation to launch the new pilot project Improving Lipids Testing Capacity Worldwide. This initiative will train laboratory personnel in the Philippines and Bolivia to use point-of-care lipid testing devices over a 24-month period.
GLQI PROJECT TEAMS
AACC has several working groups devoted to providing critical advice and oversight in the planning and implementation of international educational projects:
- Subcommittee on Global Affairs: Dr. Barbara Goldsmith (chair)
- Africa Working Group (AWG): Dr. Olajumoke Oladipo (chair)
- Asia-Pacific Working Group (APWG): Dr. Qing Meng (chair)
- Latin American Working Group (LAWG): Dr. Veronica Luzzi (chair)
- Newborn Screening Program: Dr. Michael Bennett (lead) and Dr. Olajumoke Oladipo (lead)
- Improving Lipids Testing Capacity Worldwide: Drs. William Clarke and James H. Nichols (year 1 faculty); Drs. Jose C. Jara-Aguirre and Verónica I. Luzzi (year 2 faculty); Dr. Hubert Vesper (advisor)
AACC Annual Scientific Meeting & Clinical Lab Expo
The AACC Annual Scientific Meeting offers several opportunities to connect with global leaders in laboratory medicine from around the world. Learn more at meeting.aacc.org.
If you have questions about AACC’s international activities, please write to us here.