The authors of October's Clinical Case Study provided us with five exclusive questions that will not appear in the published version of the Case. We'd love to hear your answers to these questions in the comments section.
1) Describe ammonia metabolism, including source and tissue storage.
2) What is the normal route of excretion of most ammonia from the body?
3) Under what conditions can inborn errors of metabolism present in late childhood or adulthood?
4) What physical effects would you expect to see at increasing ammonia concentrations?
5) What are some of the common presenting symptoms of inborn errors of metabolism?
Would you like to receive these Clinical Case Studies student discussions a month before they publish via email? Send an email with the subject 'subscribe' to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will add you to the list.