Providing a reader-friendly "building-block" approach to
the essentials of diagnostic microbiology, this accessible, full-color text
helps you develop the problem-solving skills necessary for success in the
clinical setting. This updated edition has new content on nanomedicine and
HIV/AIDS and the immunocompromised patient, including the latest information on
prevention, treatment modalities, and CDC guidelines. Updated photos offer new
examples of automated lab instruments, while case studies, review questions, and
learning objectives present information in an easy-to-learn way.
New to This Edition
- NEW! Nanomedicine and HIV/AIDS and the immunocompromised patient content
supplies you with the latest
information on prevention, treatment modalities, and CDC guidelines.
- NEW! Updated photos familiarize you with the
equipment you'll use in the lab.
- NEW! Case Checks throughout each chapter tie content to case studies for improved
- NEW! An editable and printable lab manual provides additional opportunities to learn course content using
real-life scenarios with questions to reinforce concepts.
- Review questions for each learning objective help you learn to think critically about the information in each
chapter, enhancing your comprehension and retention of material.
- A building-block approach encourages you to use
previously learned information to sharpen your critical-thinking and
- Full-color design, with many full-color
photomicrographs, prepares you for the reality of diagnostic microbiology.
- Learning objectives at the beginning of each
chapter supply you with a measurable outcome to achieve by completing the
- A case study at the beginning of each chapter provides you with the opportunity to form your own questions and answers
through discussion points.
- Issues to Consider boxes encourage you to analyze important points.
- Bolded key terms at the beginning of each
chapter equip you with a list of the most important and relevant terms in
- Points to Remember sections at the end of each chapter
identify key concepts in a quick-reference, bulleted format.
- Hands-on procedures describe exactly what takes
place in the micro lab, making content more interesting and relevant.
- Learning assessment questions at the conclusion
of each chapter allow you to evaluate how well you have mastered material.
- Agents of bioterrorism chapter furnishes you
with the most current information about this hot topic.
- Glossary of key terms at the end of the book
supplies you with a quick reference for looking up definitions.