This exceptional resource introduces the fundamentals of
nucleic acid biochemistry as well as the advanced concepts integral to
professional practice in today's laboratories. With a focus on the application
of molecular concepts to diagnose diseases, the 2nd Edition reflects the many
advances in this rapidly developing field.
Inside, you'll find in-depth explanations of the principles of
molecular-based assays as well as reference material and trouble-shooting tips
for the laboratory. Discussions of general diagnostic procedures reflect the
continuing emergence of new diagnostic technologies to prepare you to meet the
challenges of the future.
- Fundamentals, methods and clinical applications of
molecular diagnostics are covered all in one book.
- A wealth of line drawings, flow-charts, and
photographs enhance comprehension of the concepts presented in the text.
- Coverage of the application of molecular diagnostics
to the clinical laboratory encompasses microbiology, virology, genetics,
oncology, and human identification.
- Advanced Concepts are presented in boxes throughout
the text to challenge those readers interested in learning the fine details.
- Historical Highlights provide valuable background and
origin information to foster an understanding of the topics.
- Case Studies encourage students to apply molecular
concepts to diagnostic testing and provide real-world insight into what to
expect when working in the laboratory.
- Key Terms are bolded and defined within the text
where they first appear.
- Study Questions at the end of each chapter reinforce
the content. Answers, included in the appendix, allow for self assessment
outside of the classroom.
- NEW! Glossary and additional problem-based Study
- NEW! Color images on the inside book covers show the
results of tests interpreted by distinguishing color differences, such as FISH
and Sanger sequencing.
- UPDATED! Case Studies in the book and additional case
studies online at DavisPlus.
- UPDATED! More automated methods incorporated in the Methods section of the