Peter B. Luppa
Peter B. Luppa is a clinical pathologist and currently heading the core clinical chemistry laboratory of the Institut für Klinsche Chemie und Pathobiochemie in the university hospital Klinikum rechts der Isar. He was born in Amberg/Germany on April 5, 1955, and graduated from the university of Regensburg with a Diploma in Chemistry in 1979 and then from the university Erlangen-Nuerenberg with a state examination in medicine in June 1986.
He received the medical doctor degree from the university of Erlangen-Nuerenberg. Starting from 1986 he spend his further specialization in clinical pathology as senior fellow at the Institut für Klinische Chemie, Klinikum Großhadern der Ludwig-Maximilians Universität München and from October 1992 at the Institut für Klinische Chemie und Pathobiochemie der Technischen Universität München (TUM). He received the appointment as Associate Professor by the TUM in September 2002.
Peter B. Luppa heads the Core Clinical Chemistry Laboratory in the Institute for Clinical Chemistry and Pathobiochemistry (Chair: Prof. Dr. Jürgen Ruland) since January 2012. He also conducts the blood bank and is responsible physician for transfusion medicine at the Klinikum rechts der Isar (as from September 2009).
Peter B. Luppa runs a research laboratory for optical biosensor developments. His research interests span steroid biochemistry, biosensorics in autoantibody detection and POCT techno-logies. He published 124 original peer-reviewed articles (listed in Pubmed, as of May, 2016).
Additionally he is the POCT director for the Klinikum as from September 2003 and responsible for the comprehensive quality management of all peripheral POCT devices in the hospital.
Other notable achievements in the field of POCT are:
- Head of the working group for POCT of the German Society for Clinical Chemistry and laboratory medicine (DGKL) since 2005.
- Reviewer for the revision of the AACC certificate program Point-of-Care Specialist in 2013
- Member of the working group on "How should Glucose Meters be Evaluated for Critical Care (WG-GMECC)”, installed 2013 from the IFCC task force on Point of Care Testing.
- Editor of the first German textbook on POCT, published by Springer. The third edition is planned for March 2017, followed by the first English edition in June 2017.
- Founder of the biannually organized international “Munich POCT Symposium”, the third conference being scheduled March 13-15, 2017.
- Member of the scientific program planning committee of the CPOCT division of the AACC organizing the 26th International Symposium, September 2016 in Copenhagen.
Board member of INSTAND e.V., one of the certified ring trial organizations in Germany, and responsible for the POCT ring trials.
Peter B. Luppa lives in Munich, is married since 1993 and father of three adult sons. He is particularly proud that one of his sons started studying medicine recently, thus continuing the family tradition.