Point-of-care testing is among the fastest growing disciplines within laboratory medicine and clinical diagnostics. Certification through the AACC Board of Certification documents that healthcare professionals working in point-of-care testing have proven expertise in this area and are among the top in their field. This certification is valuable for those in the clinical setting as well as industry and academia. As a Certified Point-of-Care Testing Professional (CPP), you will stand out as someone who has gone above and beyond to demonstrate proficiency in point-of-care testing.
Apply to take the exam
Who Would Benefit From Certification?
The Point-of-Care Testing Professional Certification is designed for all personnel who perform diagnostic tests outside the central laboratory, which encompasses near-patient testing, point-of-care device selection and validation, quality management, operator training, regulatory compliance, and serving as a liaison with the central laboratory. These personnel include:
- Laboratory managers
- Nursing managers
- Point-of-care coordinators
- Respiratory therapists
- Pharmacy technicians
- Nurse practitioners
- Physicians’ assistants
- In vitro diagnostic industry employees
How Do I Get Certified?
To receive the Certified Point-of-Care Testing Professional (CPP) designation, applicants must successfully complete an online proctored exam and provide:
- College or university transcripts showing that the applicant has a four-year degree in a biological or physical science from an accredited U.S. institution. Applicants with educational records obtained outside the U.S. must, at their own expense, have their educational credentials evaluated by an agency and submit the evaluation report as part of their application.
- A letter from a supervisor that documents at least two years of the applicant's experience in point-of-care testing within a patient care setting.
- A current resume or curriculum vitae (CV)
- Two letters of recommendation from persons who can attest to the applicant’s professional qualifications. View an example letter of recommendation.
Upcoming Exam Dates: The next exam period to take the Point-of-Care Testing Professional Certification exam is from May 31 to June 7, 2019. Accepted applicants will receive further instructions on how to select a preferred day and time to take the exam. (Please note that applications are no longer being accepted for this exam period.)
Future Cycles: The next application cycle opens July 1 and closes on September 16, 2019. Complete application files received during this cycle will be considered for the examination timeframe November 1 - 8, 2019.