POINT-OF-CARE SPECIALIST CERTIFICATE PROGRAM
Earn 13 ACCENT® continuing education credits and a certificate of completion for successfully completing the program before the access end date.
The program is composed of the eight courses listed below. Each course can be completed online in 1 - 2 hours, and contains a lecture, required reading, a quiz. Some include case studies, practical exercises, and recommended references. The program also has a comprehensive 50 question multiple-choice exam and additional resources for download. Communicate questions or comments using the program discussion board.
- Connectivity and Information Technology
- Education and Training
- Instrument Selection and Validation
- Policies and Procedures
- Quality Management
Certificates are awarded online upon successful completion of the program. Graduates are recognized on a register located on the certificate program web page.
This program was developed to prepare point-of-care coordinators and POC specialists for their critical role and to promote standardized best practices. It is updated to reflect current practices today and aims to provide information useful to POCT personnel both within and outside of the United States.
Designed for working professionals, it provides a comprehensive curriculum for successful practice in the hospital, clinical, and doctor's office point-of-care testing. It is a high quality professional development program with content that will deepen and broaden the knowledge of those responsible for POC programs and validate the experience they bring to the job.
After completing this program, participants can expect to:
- Discuss regulations, accreditation, standards and guidelines related to Point of Care
- Discuss the many aspects of testing, quality improvement processes and safety considerations
- Learn the differences between policies and procedures, and know the importance behind documentation and standardizing procedures
- Understand the requirements for system validation and how to select instrumentation
- Understand concerns related to Point of Care connectivity and technology
- Explore the leadership, educational and training needs for a POCT program
Numerous POCT professionals have contributed to the content of the Point-of-Care Specialist Certificate Program. A full list of faculty contributors is provided in the program. The faculty co-chairs guiding the 2014 revision are:
- Kerstin Halverson, MS, BA
Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- Marcia Zucker, PhD
ZIVD LLC., Metuchen, NJ
This program is sponsored by the Critical and Point-of-Care Testing Division and is supported by Abbott Point of Care.
Open Enrollment until December 31, 2014
Program Access from January 10, 2014 until July 15, 2015
Fee: $250 AACC Member/$500 Non-member
Course Number: 8732
13 ACCENT® continuing education credits
- If you purchase the program on our website, processing is immediate and the login information will be on your AACC Web Orders confirmation email.
- If you purchase the program over the telephone, order processing will take 3-4 business days. Access information will be emailed to you upon processing completion/enrollment.
- If you purchase the program via US Post or fax, please allow 2 weeks for order processing.
- Haven’t received your access information? Please contact AACC Customer Service.
ACCENT® credit is offered. AACC is an approved provider of continuing education for clinical laboratory scientists in the states of California, Florida, Louisiana, Montana, Nevada, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and West Virginia.