Clin Lab Job Center
Search job listings from hundreds of clinical laboratories across the world.
Salary Survey (2013)
Coming soon: salary survey results for 2018.
Navigating Employment Negotiations
Questions to Ask When Looking for a Job
The following information is intended as an aid for new and junior clinical laboratory professionals when seeking to navigate employment negotiations and should not be considered as a complete list but rather a guideline of questions to ask.
- What is the work environment: industry, academia, clinical (hospital or reference lab)
- What is the title of your supervisor? Who is responsible for your performance evaluations/promotions?
- What position is being offered?What career mobility options are there? How do you advance in the current system?
- Does the position come with an academic appointment?None, Lecturer/Instructor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor
- What is the Salary?
- How will the salary be paid? 100% by hospital/employer, 100% by university, paid in part by grants/external funding, other
- What benefits are offered?
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Short-term Disability Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Pension Plan
- 401K or 403B (matching funds?)
- Malpractice Insurance
- Workers comp/occupational health
- Travel Insurance
- Cost of living adjustments in salary
- Paid Vacation Days: how many weeks
- Paid Holidays: how many days
- Education and Travel Allowances: how much
- Number of Professional trip days allowed
- Board Exams (if not yet completed):
- Will the employer pay for exam fees:
- Will employer provide protected study time?
- Will employer pay for board review course(s)
- If research is expected:
- What are the publication and grant expectations?
- Will dedicated lab space be provided?
- Will lab start up funds for research be provided?
- Is there ample accessibility to clinical/basic research collaborators?
- Will research and development staff be provided?
- What is the expected workweek: 40, 50, 60 hours?
- Is weekend and Holiday coverage required?
- What are the Call duties: Weekday, weekend, and holidays?
- Is comp time offered for working weekends and/or holidays?
- Will you have human resource type responsibilities or will you have managers that will handle these aspects?
- Will they offer to help with moving and relocation costs?
- How is your time to be divided: % clinical, % development, % research, % teaching
- How can you become a contributing member of the local clinical laboratory professional community?
- Will involvement in national and local professional organizations be supported by the department (is this recognized as an important part of your job)?