Support the SYCL Travel Grant Program
SYCL Travel Grants Winners
Neval Akbas, Ph.D.
Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children’s Hospital
Sami Albeiroti, Ph.D.
UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine
Los Angeles, CA
Mohammad Alyamani, M.S.
Cleveland State University
Qianyang Huang, M.Sc
Cleveland State University
Adam McShane, Ph.D.
Lacy Moss, Ph.D.
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Jesse Seegmiller, Ph.D.
University of Minnesota Medical Center
Zahra Shajani Yi, Ph.D.
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
Qian Katie Sun, Ph.D.
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Yun Wang, M.D., Ph.D.
Medical University of South Carolina
Deadline: March 1
AACC helps SYCL members in the U.S. and Canada* participate in the AACC Annual Scientific Meeting & Clinical Lab Expo by awarding SYCL Domestic Travel Grants. These need-based grants give preference to applicants who submit oral or written posters for presentation. SYCL Domestic Travel Grant winners receive a cash award of $2,000.
The 2016 SYCL Travel Grants were made possible, in part, by donations from Kerry Weinert, Doug Stickle, the Rocky Mountain Local Section, the Mass Spectrometry and Separation Sciences Division, and individual donations to AACC's access program.
*SYCL members in Canada are eligible for the SYCL Travel Grant during years when the AACC Annual Scientific Meeting is held in conjunction with the Canadian Society for Clinical Chemists.
Criteria for the SYCL Travel Grants
The applicant must:
- Use the funds for domestic travel or travel to the U.S. from Canada only.
- Meet the criteria for SYCL membership (under the age of 40 or a student member of AACC).
- Demonstrate financial need to attend the annual scientific meeting.
- State the impact of the meeting on the applicant's career in laboratory medicine.
- List all contributions (abstracts and/or accepted proposals) of the applicant to the annual scientific meeting.
Note: Previous SYCL Domestic Travel Grant winners are not eligible to apply again.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit the following supporting information: (See below for the relative weight of each item)
- A letter from the applicant including both a statement of financial need to attend the meeting (weighted 50%) and a description of how the meeting will be of benefit to their career (weighted 30%).
- A letter of support from a colleague or mentor describing the applicant's promise or potential impact in the field (weighted 20%).
- If applicable, include a copy of a submitted abstract and/or accepted proposal; preference will be given to those presenting at the meeting. Please submit only one abstract and/or accepted proposal for evaluation.
- A current copy of your Curriculum Vitae.
- Applicant's complete contact information, including: address, email, phone and fax numbers.
- Submit applications via email by March 1 to: email@example.com
If you have questions about the SYCL Domestic Travel Grant, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800.892.1400 x8701 and 202.835.8701.