The Critical and Point-of-Care Testing (CPOCT) Division presents several awards annually or bi-annually to clinical chemists and other healthcare professionals who work in the area of critical and point-of-care testing. These awards are:
Point-of-Care Coordinator of the Year
This award recognizes outstanding achievements in the point-of-care testing (POCT) field by a person primarily responsible for an institution's POCT program.
- Read the full award description.
- Deadline for submission: MAY 31, 2023
- Award Amount: $500 honorarium, $1,350 to attend the the Association for Diagnostics & Laboratory Medicine (formerly AACC) Annual Scientific Meeting, and a glass trophy
- Frequency: Annually
- Award Recipients: 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000
Outstanding Contributions to Point-of-Care Testing
This award is given for a single outstanding achievement or body of accomplishments that have advanced the field.
- Read full award description.
- Deadline to apply: MAY 31, 2023
- Award Recipients: 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2014, 2011, 2009, 2003
Best Annual Scientific Meeting Abstract
Given in recognition of outstanding research in the areas of critical and point-of-care testing for abstract submitted and poster presented at the the Association for Diagnostics & Laboratory Medicine (ADLM) Annual Scientific Meeting. Abstracts are selected by the CPOCT Awards Committee from the accepted abstracts submitted to the ADLM Annual Meeting Organizing Committee. The awardees are recognized at the CPOCT Mixer during the ADLM Annual Scientific Meeting. Recipients receive a $500 cash award.
Best International Symposium Abstract
This award is given in recognition of outstanding research in the areas of critical and point-of-care testing for abstracts submitted and posters presented at the CPOCT international symposium. Abstracts are selected by the CPOCT Awards Committee from those accepted abstracts submitted to the Scientific Committee of the CPOCT International Symposium. The awardees are recognized at the symposium's award dinner. Recipients receive a $500 cash award.
Best Newsletter Article
These awards are presented in recognition of outstanding papers published in the CPOCT Newsletter. Recipients receive a $100 cash award.
International Travel Grant
This grant provides travel support for an invited, well-recognized and experienced clinical chemist to travel overseas to enhance the quality of critical and point-of-care testing at a non-U.S. national conference of clinical chemistry. The award consists of up to $1,500 cash travel support. President of the national clinical chemistry society organizing the conference should contact the chair of the CPOCT Division for this award.
Local Section Travel Grant
This grant provides travel support for invited well-recognized and experienced clinical chemists to participate in scientific meetings that will enhance the quality of critical and point-of-care testing at an ADLM local section meeting. The grant consists of up to $550 cash travel support. The chair of the local section organizing the conference should contact the chair of the CPOCT Division for this award.
ADLM Critical and Point-of-Care Testing Research Grant
This award is not being offered in 2023.
This grant is given to study outcomes of POCT. Please note that it is dependent upon corporate support and therefore may not be awarded annually.
- Read full grant description.
- Deadline to apply: March 15
- Grant amount: $5000
- Applicant and his/her mentor (if applicable) should clearly state that the research project described was conceived by the applicant.
- Applicant and his/her mentor (if applicable) should list titles and amounts of funds for other similar projects that are funded from other sources.
- Award Recipients
- 2016: Vanessa Silva Moraes, MS, Lisa Marie Shollenberger McEwen, PhD, & Rafaella Fortini Grenfelle Queiroz, MS PhD - Development of an innovative immunodiagnostic test for clinical forms of Schistosoma mansoni
- 2015: Yusheng Zhu, Charleston, SC, The variance between POC and clinical laboratory glucose testing results in critically ill patients
- 2014: Tanya Ferguson, Upland California, Rapid Detection of Acineetobacter Baumannii from Sputum at the Point of Care.
- 2013: Lei Zheng, Guangdong China, A Biosensor for Electrochemical Detection of MicroRNA's
- 2011: Qing Meng, Saskatchewan, Canada, D-Lactate Predicts the Severity of Diabetic Ketoacidosis.
- 2009: Victor Jeger, Bern, Switzerland, How well are coagulopathies controlled in the injured patient?
- 2008: Subir Kumar Das, Kerala, India, The role of adipocytokines and inflammatory processes in insulin resistance.
- 2007: Subir Kumar Das, Kerala, India, Pathogenesis of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- 2006: Subir Kumar Das, Kerala, India, Role of alcohol induced liver damage on the regulation of vessel maturation.
The Penny Jones Education Travel Award
This award is intended to support the attendance of a non-doctoral level CPOCT Division member at the ADLM Annual Scientific Meeting & Clinical Lab Expo. Recipients must demonstrate a financial need and applications will be evaluated by the CPOCT Awards Committee.
- Deadline to apply: MAY 31, 2023
- Award amount: $500
- Criteria for eligibility:
- Must be a current member of the CPOCT Division
- Must not have obtained a PhD, MD, or DO. This award is not intended for doctoral level members of the Division
- Must demonstrate financial need
- Must not have received this award in the past
- Additionally, applicants that have never attended the ADLM Annual Scientific Meeting will be given higher priority.
- What to submit with your application:
- One-page cover letter describing:
- How the award will be used to support the applicant's professional development
- How the award will help the applicant attend the ADLM Annual Scientific Meeting
- Applications should be sent to [email protected].
- Award Recipients
Lifetime Achievement Award for Coordinators of Point-of-Care Testing
This now-retired award was given in honor of Herald Waldon, Jr. to POC Coordinators who demonstrated at least 10 years of distinguished leadership ensuring the quality of testing at the point-of-care.
- Award Recipients:
- 2014: Peggy Mann
- 2013: Jim Nichols
- Sponsor: Abbott Laboratories, Inc.