1975 ADLM Lectureship Award
Martin Rubin, Ph.D. earned his Ph.D. in 1942 from Columbia University, and exposure to clinical chemistry in Mt. Sinai Hospital and Johns Hopkins Hospital and a period in industrial research in drug development was Martin Rubin’s pathway to clinical chemistry as Director (since 1948) of the Clinical Chemistry Laboratory of Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, D. C. Simultaneous appointments in the Graduate School (Medicine and Pathology for a while) and as Professor of Biochemistry in the Medical and Dental Schools have allowed for continuous efforts in basic research (trace metal metabolism, drug metabolism) and in clinical chemistry (methodology, automation, and computerization). As a member of the the Association for Diagnostics & Laboratory Medicine (formerly AACC) since its formation, he has been Chairman of the Capital Section, served on the the Association for Diagnostics & Laboratory Medicine (ADLM) Education and Standards Committees, been a member of its Board of Directors and recipient of the Capital Section Chemists award and the ADLM Award for Outstanding Efforts in Education and Training (in 1972).
Other activities include service as a member of the Board of Directors of the American Board of Clinical Chemistry, the Laboratory Advisory Committee of the State of Maryland, Consultant to the FDA, National Academy of Sciences, Pan American Health Organization, WHO, several national governments, and industry. As a titular member of the Section of Clinical Chemistry IUPAC and President of the IFCC since 1967, an interesting opportunity has been available for extensive travel to survey, visit, and lecture in many parts of the world. In 1974, the doctorate honoris causa, was awarded by the University of Louis Pasteur in Strasbourg, France.
1972 Outstanding Contributions in Education
The 1972 ADLM Award for the advancement of clinical chemistry through education and training of clinical chemists, sponsored by Smith Kline & French Laboratories, will be presented to Dr. Martin Rubin. Dr. Rubin was born in New York City and received his doctorate from Columbia University. At present he is associated with Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, D.C., where he is Director of Clinical Chemistry, University Hospital, and Professor of Biochemistry of the Medical and Dental Schools. In 1968 he was chairman of the 20th National Meeting of the ADLM in Washington, D.C.
He was influential in obtaining the first training grant in clinical chemistry from the National Institutes of Health and has himself trained a number of clinical chemists and helped them obtain the Ph.D. in clinical chemistry.
He has served on the Board of Directors of the ADLM, of the American Board of Clinical Chemistry, as chairman of the ADLM Committee on Education and Scholarship, and as chairman of the IFCC Education and Standards Committees. He is currently a member of the ADLM Standards Committee.
Dr. Rubin served as a Titular Member, appointed by the National Academy of Science (U.S.), to the Section of Clinical Chemistry of the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry from 1963–1971. He is President of the Commission on Teaching of Clinical Chemistry of the IUPAC Section. Since 1968 he has been the President of the International Federation of Clinical Chemistry. In the last two years, Dr. Rubin has organized the recent meeting on “Clinical Chemistry for Developing Nations” together with the World Health Organization in Geneva, Switzerland. In recent months he concluded a survey and report on clinical laboratories in Latin America for the Pan-American Health Organization.
Presently training Mexican and South American chemists in modern clinical chemistry methodology, Dr. Rubin is dedicated to the furtherance of education in clinical chemistry, not only in this country, but throughout the world.