The Management Sciences and Patient Safety Division offers four awards:
- Outstanding Contributions to Management Sciences and Patient Safety Award
- Lawrence J. Crolla, Ph.D. Management Sciences and Patient Safety Certificate Scholarship Award
- AACC MSPSD Abstract Award in Patient Safety
- AACC MSPSD Abstract Award in Laboratory Management
Outstanding Contributions to Management Sciences and Patient Safety Award
2016: Lou Ann Wyer, MS, MT(ASCP), CQA ASQ
2015: Anand Dighe, MD, PhD
2014: Giuseppe Lippi, MD
2013: Charles D. Hawker, PhD, MBA, FACB
2012: Michael Laposata, M.D., Ph.D.
2011: Lawrence J. Crolla, Ph.D.
2010: James S. Hernandez, M.D., M.S.
2009: Mary Haven M.S.
2008: Michael L. Astion M.D., PhD
2007: Mario Plebani, M.D.
2006: Carl C. Garber, PhD
2005: James O. Westgard, PhD
2004: Leslie Burnett, PhD
2003: Ian Wilkinson, PhD
2002: Donald J. Cannon, PhD
2001: Christopher S. Frings, PhD
About the Award
The Management Sciences and Patient Safety Division (MSPSD) of AACC established the annual Outstanding Contributions to Management Sciences Award in 2001 which was renamed in 2009 with the change in Division name to Outstanding Contributions to Management Sciences and Patient Safety Award. This award is intended to recognize the achievements of an individual who has made outstanding contributions in the field of management sciences or patient safety in the clinical laboratory/healthcare industry. This includes the training of professional clinical laboratory scientists; the teaching and integration of management sciences and patient safety at the undergraduate, postgraduate, and practicing level; meritorious scientific, education and research contributions; contributions through service to management sciences and patient safety with special emphasis on advancing the professional status of clinical laboratory scientists and the professional objectives of the Division.
The award consists of a suitably inscribed plaque or certificate and a cash award. The recipient will be recognized and provide the keynote presentation at the MSPSD Annual Leadership Symposium held on the Sunday immediately preceding the start of the AACC Annual Meeting.
- Nominations may be submitted by any AACC member or group of members such as division, local section, officer, or committee.
- In an effort to recognize the diversity of contribution to management sciences and patient safety, recipients need not be members of AACC or the Division.
- Nominations must consist of a nomination letter containing an evaluation and appraisal of the nominee's accomplishments relative to the award, a curriculum vitae, a list of publications and any other relevant information.
- No more than 2 seconding letters of support from the nominee's colleagues may be included with the letter of nomination
Typically the call for nominations is made in January with an announced deadline but nominations can be made at any time during the year. A nominating letter and supporting material should be sent to the current Chair of the Awards Committee.
Lawrence J. Crolla, Ph.D. Management Sciences and Patient Safety Certificate Scholarship Award
The MSPS Division has established a new scholarship award to provide an online certificate program registration to 3 winners each year. Winners can choose among the 3 certificate programs that have been co-developed by AACC and the MSPS Division. The application process typically opens in March with a deadline in early June.
About Lawrence J. Crolla, Ph.D.
Lawrence J. Crolla, Ph.D., was a laboratory consultant for hospitals across the US and Asia, as Managing Director of Worldwide Healthcare Consulting, LLC. He was also an Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Pathology at Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois and a scientific consultant for several hospitals in the Chicago area. Dr. Crolla also co-authored The CLIA ‘88 Implementation Guidelines, a manual of explanation and forms to aid laboratories in obtaining CLIA compliance. He also co-developed SUMIT, a cost accounting software program for micro-costing healthcare procedures and lectured extensively on laboratory cost accounting, capital budgeting, auto-verification and regulatory compliance. Dr. Crolla also received the American Association of Clinical Chemistry Outstanding Speaker Award 7 times with over 20 years of experience as a consultant and speaker in the healthcare field.
Management Sciences and Patient Safety Division Abstract Awards
The Management Sciences and Patient Safety Division offers two abstract awards: one for Outstanding Research in Management Science and one for Outstanding Research in Patient Safety. Winners receive a $250 grant. The award will be announced at the Division leadership symposium on Sunday prior to the AACC Annual Scientific Meeting.
To compete for this award you must:
- Submit an abstract in the field of management science or patient safety.
- Be the presenting author of an accepted abstract for the upcoming AACC Annual Scientific Meeting.