The CPOCT Division presents several awards annually or bi-annually to clinical chemists and other healthcare professionals who work in the area of critical and point-of-care testing. These awards are:
Point of Care Coordinator of the Year
This award recognizes outstanding achievements in the POCT field by a person primarily responsible for an institution's POCT program.
- For award application click here.
- Deadline for submission: March 15
- Award Amount: $500 honorarium, $1,350 to attend the AACC Annual Meeting, and a glass trophy
- Sponsor: Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics Inc.
- Frequency: Annually
- Award Recipients: 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000
Outstanding Contributions to Point-of-Care Testing
This award is given for a single outstanding achievement or body of accomplishments that have advanced the field.
Best Annual Meeting Abstract
Given in recognition of outstanding research in the areas of critical and point of care testingfor abstract submitted and poster presented at the AACC annual meeting. Abstracts are selected by the CPOCT Awards Committee from the accepted abstracts submitted to the AACC Annual Meeting Organizing Committee. The awardees are recognized at the CPOCT Mixer during the AACCAnnual Meeting. Recipients receive a $500 cash award.
Best International Symposium Abstract
This award is given in recognition of outstanding research in the areas of critical and point-of-care testing for abstracts submitted and posters presented at the CPOCT international symposium. Abstracts are selected by the CPOCT Awards Committee from those accepted abstracts submitted to the Scientific Committee of the CPOCT International Symposium. The awardees are recognized at the symposium's award dinner. Recipients receive a $500 cash award.
Best Newsletter Article
These awards are presented in recognition of outstanding papers published in the CPOCT Newsletter. Recipients receive a $100 cash award.
International Travel Grant
This grant provides travel support for an invited, well-recognized and experienced clinical chemist to travel overseas to enhance the quality of Critical and Point-of-Care Testing at a non-US national conference of clinical chemistry. The award consists of up to $1,500 cash travel support. President of the national clinical chemistry society organizing the conference should contact the chair of the CPOCT Division for this award.
Local Section Travel Grant
This grant provides travel support for invited well-recognized and experienced clinical chemists to participate in scientific meetings that will enhance the quality of Critical and Point-of-Care Testing at an AACC local section meeting. The grant consists of up to $550 cash travel support. The chair of the local section organizing the conference should contact the chair of the CPOCT Division for this award.
AACC Critical and Point-of-Care Testing Research Grant
This grant is given to study outcomes of point-of-care testing (POCT).
- For grant description click here.
- Deadline to apply: March 15
- Grant amount: $5000
- Applicant and his/her mentor (if applicable) should clearly state that the research project described was conceived by the applicant.
- Applicant and his/her mentor (if applicable) should list titles and amounts of funds for other similar projects that are funded from other sources.
- Award Recipients
- 2016—Vanessa Silva Moraes, MS, Lisa Marie Shollenberger McEwen, PhD, & Rafaella Fortini Grenfelle Queiroz, MS PhD - Development of an innovative immunodiagnostic test for clinical forms of Schistosoma mansoni
- 2015—Yusheng Zhu, Charleston, SC, The variance between POC and clinical laboratory glucose testing results in critically ill patients
- 2014—Tanya Ferguson, Upland California, Rapid Detection of Acineetobacter Baumannii from Sputum at the Point of Care.
- 2013—Lei Zheng, Guangdong China, A Biosensor for Electrochemical Detection of MicroRNA's
- 2011—Qing Meng, Saskatchewan, Canada, D-Lactate Predicts the Severity of Diabetic Ketoacidosis.
- 2009—Victor Jeger, Bern, Switzerland, How well are coagulopathies controlled in the injured patient?
- 2008—Subir Kumar Das, Kerala, India, The role of adipocytokines and inflammatory processes in insulin resistance.
- 2007—Subir Kumar Das, Kerala, India, Pathogenesis of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- 2006—Subir Kumar Das, Kerala, India, Role of alcohol induced liver damage on the regulation of vessel maturation.
Lifetime Achievement Award for Coordinators of Point-of-Care Testing
This award was given in 2014 in honor of Herald Waldon, Jr. to a POC Coordinator who has demonstrated at least 10 years of distinguished leadership ensuring the quality of testing at the point-of-care.
- Sponsor, Abbott Laboratories, INC
- Award Recipient 2014: Peggy Mann