The 70th AACC Annual Scientific Meeting & Clinical Lab Expo in Chicago, in keeping with longstanding tradition at prior Annual Scientific Meetings, once again is fostering the value of collaboration with outside organizations and AACC divisions to bring new perspectives to laboratory medicine.
Scientific sessions prepared and delivered collaboratively with other societies strengthens the program by bringing insights other than those of clinical laboratory professionals, David Grenache, PhD, DABCC, the chief scientific officer of TriCore Reference Laboratories in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and chair of the Annual Meeting Organizing Committee told CLN Stat.
“In the day-to-day complexities of clinical labs, we might not stop to consider the perspective of providers,” said Grenache, who has always gained a deeper appreciation for a certain topic in presentations that feature both laboratorians and clinicians. Such collaborations are often presented at meetings of the partnering societies, offering the potential to elevate AACC’s reputation as the “go-to” organization for experts in laboratory medicine, he offered.
According to Grenache, two sessions in particular at the 2017 AACC Annual Scientific Meeting achieve this goal: one developed in cooperation with the Endocrine Society titled (33107) Clinical Assay Issues: What Endocrinologists Will Ask You, and another with the American Diabetes Association titled (32130) Refining Measurement of Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c): Do We Know What It Means? “I am looking forward to attending both,” Grenache said.
Participants have these external organization collaborative sessions to pick from:
- (192010) Using CLSI Guidelines to Meet Quality Requirements Established by FDA, CLIA and ISO throughout the Laboratory Test Life Cycle. A Panel Presentation (Clinical & Laboratory Standards Institute)
- (32130) Refining Measurement of Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c): Do We Know What It Means? (American Diabetes Association)
- (33105) Standardization of Traditional and New Cardiovascular Disease Biomarkers – Addressing Cholesterol and Beyond
- (33106) Surviving the Regulatory and Accreditation Landscape: The “Must-Know” Secrets for Success!
- (33107) Clinical Assay Issues: What Endocrinologists Will Ask You (Endocrine Society)
- (33216) Why are Harmonized Results Difficult to Achieve?
- (44111) Laboratory Screening for Cancer: Beyond Test Results (Repeats as 54211)
- (34107) Accurate Measurement of Thyroid Hormones in Disease and Pregnancy
- (35104) Sequence Gazing: Somatic Variant Calling and Interpretation for Next-Generation Sequencing
- (35106) Towards Improving Parathyroid Hormone Measurements and Management of the Chronic Kidney Disease–Mineral and Bone Disorder (CKD-MBD)
- (35109) Jumping the Pediatric Reference Interval Hurdles
AACC’s 20 scientific divisions also cooperated in developing 33 sessions, ranging from Brown Bags and AACC University sessions to symposia, across all five days of the meeting. Register now to attend these events and more at the 70th AACC Annual Scientific Meeting & Clinical Lab Expo July 29–August 2 in Chicago.