Earn 8.5 ACCENT® continuing education credits and a certificate of completion for successfully completing the program before the access end date.
This program is composed of six courses listed below. Each course can be completed online in 1-2 hours and contains a lecture, reference materials and a quiz. Communicate questions or comments using the program discussion board.
- Rapid Change Management
- Quality Systems Management
- Process Improvement Systems
- Laboratory Utilization Management
- Financial Management and Metrics
- Equipment Acquisition and Contracting
Certificates of completion are awarded online upon successful completion of the program. Graduates are recognized on a register located on the certificate program web page.
Please note that the completion of an online certificate program should be listed within the education section of a resume or CV. It is not equivalent to completing a board certification process.
Laboratory Supervisors, Managers and Directors
SPEAKER PRESENTATION DESCRIPTION
Laboratory medicine is at a crossroads, as is medicine in general. Technical advances are coming faster and at the same time, the pool of money to pay for the technology is shrinking.
This program provides six courses by seasoned laboratory professionals with extensive first-hand and consulting experience in areas of operational management for clinical laboratories.
It is intended to provide the basics and to help you develop your skills in the critical areas to operational management of the laboratory, including rapid change management projects, the oversight of testing quality, process improvement initiatives, and evaluating factors that affect clinical patient care and operational costs.
The goal of this curriculum is to give supervisors, managers and laboratory directors some tools to help guide them through the rigors of managing the operations of a laboratory in today’s changing environment. Whether new to laboratory management or seeking to refresh or update your knowledge in the area, you will find value in this coursework.
After completing the program you will be able to:
- Describe the DMAIC process and tools used to conduct a change management project
- Understand the basic requirements of a Quality Management System and sources for creating a QMS
- Recognize key tools for continued and sustained process improvement
- Learn ways to control utilization and maintain quality patient care
- Understand the principles, misconceptions and key success factors for financial management of the laboratory, as well as metrics to track for performance
- Identify important financial considerations for laboratories in contracting and methods that limit exposures and liabilities
These expert faculty and educators contributed to the program’s development:
Jim Ellis, MS MBA MBB
MME Consulting, LLC, Aiken, SC
Cheryl Wildermuth, MS, MT(ASCP)
Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center, Sioux Falls, SD
Maureen Harte, MT (ASCP)
HartePro Consulting, LLC, Midvale, UT
Leo Serrano, FACHE, DLM(ASCP), Program Chair
FirstPath LLC, Pompano Beach, FL
Thomas Joseph, MBA, MT (ASCP)
Visiun, Inc., Ann Arbor, MI
Praful Shah, BS, DMT
GNYHA Services, Inc., New York, NY