1968 Outstanding Contributions Through Service to the Profession of Clinical Chemistry
In recognition of his outstanding contribution to Clinical Chemistry as a profession, Harold D. Appleton was the recipient of the 1968 Fisher Award in Clinical Chemistry at the Awards Banquet at the 20th National Meeting of the American Association of Clinical Chemists, Washington, D.C.
As early as 1949 it was recognized that the then young Association should have both professional and scientific communication among its members. Harold D. Appleton was appointed Chairman of the committee that organized and produced the photo offset newsletter “The Clinical Chemist” which was the forerunner of the present journal—Clinical Chemistry.
At the inception of the present journal in 1955, he was both Chairman of the Board of Editors and Managing Editor. His organization, guidance, and endeavors were instrumental in the success of the Association’s first major publication venture in which Clinical Chemistry eventually emerged with the stature as one of the widely read and highly respected scientific publications. As the Journal expanded and established a sound reputation within the profession and other scientific specialties, he was appointed Managing Editor in 1963. He is a member of the Board of Editors of Clinica Chimica Acta since the organization of that international journal in 1956.
In addition to his numerous activities on behalf of the the Association for Diagnostics & Laboratory Medicine (formerly AACC), which presently includes being Chairman of the Metropolitan New York Section, he is Director of the Department of Clinical Chemistry, Division of Pathology of the New York Medical College—Metropolitan Hospital Center. He is Assistant Professor in Biochemistry and Pathology at the New York Medical College and is also a member of the Faculty of that institution’s Graduate School of Basic Sciences. He attended Brooklyn College, Purdue University, and New York University and has held positions in the New York City Department of Hospitals at Bellevue Hospital, at Goldwater Memorial Hospital, and at the Metropolitan Hospital Center.
He is interested and engaged in active research programs with staff and graduate students and has published more than 30 scientific articles. In 1952 he became a Diplomate of the American Board of Clinical Chemistry; a member of the Education Committee of the New York Academy of Sciences, of the American Chemical Society, and of other scientific associations. In 1965 he was the recipient of an award from the New York State Society of Dermatology for chemical research related to that medical specialty.