NACB Annual Meeting Activities
NACB Activities at the AACC 2013 Annual Meeting held in Houston, July 2013.
There were numerous NACB activities at the AACC Annual Meeting in Houston. These were as follows:
A symposium developed in cooperation with the NACB and the Critical and Point-of-Care Testing Division was presented at the annual meeting, entitled: "Coagulation Analysis by Viscoelastography — Is There a Point-of-Care Clinical Application?" The symposium was presented by Drs. Brad Karon and Mark Ereth.
Abstracts selected for oral presentation
Each year, the Annual Meeting Organizing Committee reviews accepted abstracts and chooses, with the help of NACB, presenters of abstracts that will also give an oral presentations. This year, abstracts selected for oral presentation were in three categories:
- Chronic Diseases and Clinical Outcomes
- New Trends in the Diagnosis and Monitoring of Inflammatory Response
- Advances in Personalized Medicine
A list of the presenters and topics may be found in "Spotlight on Science" in the July 2013 Clinical Laboratory News, Volume 39, Number 7.
NACB Awards Luncheon
The NACB Awards Luncheon was held on Wednesday, July 31
The luncheon recognized NACB's 2013 major award winners:
- Shirley Welch, PhD, DABCC, FACB - Professor Alvin Dubin Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Profession and the Academy
- Dina Greene, PhD, DABCC, FACB - George Grannis Award for Excellence in Research and Scientific Publication
- Gregory Tsongalis, PhD, DABCC, FACB - AACC/NACB Award for Outstanding Contributions to Clinical Chemistry in a Selected Area of Research
Original announcements and descriptions of these awards were given in the most recent NACB newsletter.
Additionally, winners of the 2013 NACB Distinguished Abstract Awards were recognized. There were 38 awards given, with 20 originating from 10 countries outside of the U.S. A list of the authors and topics is given on the AACC website.
New NACB Fellows were introduced. As of the meeting, a total of 19 new NACB Fellows had been accepted since the summer of 2012. Please welcome the following newFellows to NACB:
Junaid Mahmood Alam, PhD
John Alsobrook, PhD
M. Rabie AI-Turkmani, PhD
Hikmet Hakan Aydin, PhD
Ruben Bonilla-Guerrero, MD
Raffick Bowen, PhD
Sarah Brown, PhD
Sutirtha Chakraborthy, MD
Li-Sheng Chen, PhD
Steven Cotton, PhD
Robert Dixon, PhD
Brian Kelly, PhD
Altaf Kandkar, PhD
Chia-Ni Lin, PhD
Jessie Shih, PhD
Michael Smith, PhD
AbdulRazaq Sokoro, PhD
Jim Yan, PhD
Barbara Zehnbauer, PhD
Photographs from the Awards Luncheon are posted at AACC's website.