The International Travel Grant program, supported by the Van Slyke Foundation, was established in 1992 so members of the international clinical laboratory community could attend the AACC Annual Meeting and to encourage relationships between scientists of other countries and the United States. The grants are intended to help offset travel expenses, not to cover all of the costs of attending the meeting, and are based on the following criteria:
- Participation will have a positive effect on the applicant’s future career in clinical chemistry
- Attendance will significantly broaden international participation from different areas of the world
- Applicant is without sufficient resources to attend the AACC meeting
- Attendance will have a significant impact on meeting’s content
Recipients of International Travel Grants receive a $1,000 to $2,500 travel award and free Annual Meeting registration. Funding is provided by corporate organizations via the Van Slyke Foundation, AACC's philanthropic arm.
Application Information and Submission
Write a letter of application to the AACC Awards Committee Chair, and forward to the address listed below. The letter must include the following:
- A statement of why the applicant wants to attend the AACC Annual Meeting and how attending the meeting will help the applicant in his or her work as a clinical laboratory scientist
- Applicant’s resume
- A statement as to whether the applicant has submitted an abstract for presentation at the upcoming meeting (if so, a copy of the abstract must be included with the application). Please note: The deadline for Annual Meeting abstract submissions is generally earlier than the December 31 deadline for travel grant applications. If the applicant plans to submit an abstract for the Annual Meeting, he/she must first submit his/her abstract following the abstract submission guidelines set by the Annual Meeting Organizing Committee and the AACC Meetings Department.Then the applicant must include a copy of the submitted abstract with his/her travel grant application.
- A list of applicant’s professional memberships
- Information about whether other resources are available for the applicant to attend the meeting. Applicant must be able to pay for airfare and other expenses related to travel to the meeting.
- Information about the best way to contact the applicant, such as address, e-mail address, or fax number
- Information about whether applicant has presented at past AACC meetings
Two letters of support must be included with the application. Preference is given to members of AACC and members of national chemistry societies that belong to IFCC.
Letters of application should be submitted no later than December 31. The AACC Awards Committee will ordinarily determine International Travel Grants recipients by March 1 of the same year. Awards will be distributed at the AACC Annual Meeting in July. Forward letters of application to:
AACC Membership Program Director
1850 K Street NW - Suite 625
Washington, DC 20006-2213
(phone) 202-835-8723 or 800-892-1400 x1723